whoopie pies, my way

Thursday, July 14, 2011

i have long since been wanting to try to bake whoopie pies, the semi-homemade way of course. i was eyeing the babycakes whoopie pie maker but couldn't get myself to buy the $ 40 gadget.

last week on one of my regular trips to michael's, i stumbled upon this whoopie pie pan by wilton. i had a 50% off coupon which easily eased my decision to go ahead and purchase it.

Will try making whoopie pies tonight

without any whoopie pie recipe to go by, i picked up a cake mix (betty crocker red velvet) and a can of whipped frosting (pilsbury whipped supreme cream cheese) from the grocery. die hard whoopie pie lovers and makers, don't shoot me!

the filling traditionally is something of a marshmallow creme fluff but i'm not so brave to make them, so i cheated and used the whipped frosting instead. it actually came out pretty good and i can't wait to make a chocolate/peanut butter version!

Whoopie pies ready to go in!

you will need the following :

one box cake mixture (follow baking directions per box decreasing the time amount to bake - mine were done by about 12 min)
baker's joy spray (the pan is already non-stick so i may try to omit this next time)
a can of your favorite WHIPPED frosting (whipped for easy spreading)

note : just like any recipe, allow the whoopie pie cakes to completely cool before adding the filling!

Red velvet whoopie pies

do you have an easy whoopie pie recipe you'd like share with us?



linking to :



9 comments :

Leslie said...

They look so incredibly tasty! I'll have to be on the lookout for that pan next time I dare enter Michaels.

JC's Loft said...

Never made these but very inspired now : )

Paula

Annette {One Perfect Room} said...

Those look delicious!

The Weekend Gourmet said...

Looks absolutely delicious!

Unknown said...

I have never made any....but this gives the courage to give it a try! YUM!!!!
xx

Jessica said...

Yum, I can practically taste these! I've been looking at the Babycakes Whoopie Pie Maker too - they're just so cute! I love how you made these more affordably with the pan.

Decor To Adore said...

What an absolutely YUMMY DIY! Well done.

I hope that you will stop by and enter my giveaway.

Happy Monday!

Iris {Sweet Metel Moments} said...

Oh my goodness, these look so yummy!!

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Hmm.. Delicious!!
Thank you for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
I hope to see more of your creativity this weekend! :)
xoxo,
Vanessa